The focus of Dr. Guillot's research is to identify the motivational underpinnings of addictive behaviors, with an emphasis on understanding the causes of tobacco, alcohol, and other substance use problems and translating those findings into intervention research. To this end, his research program has two main areas of concentration:
(1) investigating genetic, dispositional, and emotional vulnerabilities to addictive behaviors; and (2) studying the acute effects of substance use and withdrawal on state variables related to affect and impulse/cognitive control.
Thus, Dr. Guillot is broadly interested in the etiology of addictive behaviors (including behavioral addictions) and the psychopharmacology of drugs, including how the etiology and effects of addictive behaviors may be differentially manifested in association with diversity in racial/ethnic or other minority backgrounds and related factors. Other research interests include aggression and self-harm (i.e., behaviors related to impulsivity and self-regulation).
Ongoing Research Projects
A Study on Stress, Personality, Mood, and Substance and Internet Use (SONA Survey Study #2)
The primary purpose of this survey study will be to improve on the completed SONA Survey Study #1 by refining and expanding the investigation of potential interrelations and interactions between trauma exposure, PTSD symptoms, personality traits, mood, and substance and internet use.
Planned Research Projects
A Study on Discrimination Experiences, Personality, Mood, and Health Behaviors (Amazon MTurk Survey Study #1)
The primary purpose of this survey study will be to investigate interrelations and interactions between discrimination experiences, personality traits, mood, and various health behaviors (e.g., substance and internet use) in a large U.S adult sample.
Completed Research Projects
A Study on Stress, Personality, Mood, and Substance Use (SONA Survey Study #1)
The primary purpose of this survey study was to investigate potential interrelations and interactions between trauma exposure, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms, personality traits, mood, and substance use.
Raina Pang, PhD, Assistant Professor of Research and Director of the Psychosocialbiology Of Women's health & Emotion Research (POWER) Lab at USC (https://powerlab.usc.edu/)
Mitchell Berman, PhD, Professor of Psychology and Director of the Clinical Studies Lab at Mississippi State University (https://www.psychology.msstate.edu/people/mitchell-berman)
Adam Leventhal, PhD, Professor of Preventive Medicine and Director of the Health, Emotion, & Addiction Lab at the University of Southern California (https://heal.usc.edu)
Michael Zvolensky, PhD, Professor of Psychology and Director of the AHRL-SUTC at Univ. of Houston (https://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/clinical-psych/research/ahrl-sutc)
- Guillot, C. R., Fanning, J. R., Bullock, J. S., McCloskey, M. S., & Berman, M. E. (2010). Effects of alcohol on tests of executive functioning in men and women: A dose response examination. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 18, 409-417.
- Guillot, C. R., Pang, R. D., & Leventhal, A. M. (2014). Anxiety sensitivity and negative urgency: A pathway to negative reinforcement-related smoking expectancies. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 8, 189-194.
- Guillot, C. R., Zvolensky, M. J., & Leventhal, A. M. (2015). Differential associations between components of anxiety sensitivity and smoking-related characteristics. Addictive Behaviors, 40, 39-44.
- Guillot, C. R., Fanning, J. R., Liang, T., Leventhal, A. M., & Berman, M. E. (2015). An alpha-synuclein gene (SNCA) polymorphism moderates the association of PTSD symptomatology with hazardous alcohol use, but not with aggression-related measures. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 30, 41-47.
- Wolitzky-Taylor, K., Guillot, C. R., Pang, R. D., Kirkpatrick, M. G., Zvolensky, M. J., Buckner, J. D., & Leventhal, A. M. (2015). Examination of anxiety sensitivity and distress tolerance as transdiagnostic mechanisms linking multiple anxiety pathologies to alcohol use problems in adolescents. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 39, 532-539.
- Guillot, C. R., Fanning, J. R., Liang, T., & Berman, M. E. (2015). COMT associations with disordered gambling and drinking measures. Journal of Gambling Studies, 31, 513-524.
- Guillot, C. R., Stone, M. D., Geary, B. A., Kirkpatrick, M. G., Tidey, J. W., Cook, J. W., & Leventhal, A. M. (2015). Pharmacological, sensorimotor, and expectancy effects on tobacco withdrawal: A preliminary study. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 30, 364-371.
- Guillot, C. R., Bello, M. S., Tsai, J. Y., Huh, J., Leventhal, A. M., & Sussman, S. (2016). Longitudinal associations between anhedonia and internet-related addictive behaviors in emerging adults. Computers in Human Behavior, 62, 475-479.
- Pang, R. D., Kirkpatrick, M. G., Goldenson, N. I.*, Guillot, C. R., & Leventhal, A. M. (2016). Asians compared to Whites show increased response to d-amphetamine on select subjective and cardiovascular measures. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior, 144, 73-77.
- Guillot, C. R., Halliday, T. M., Pang, R. D., Kirkpatrick, M. G., & Leventhal, A. M. (2017). Anhedonia and abstinence as predictors of the subjective pleasantness of positive, negative, and smoking-related pictures. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 19, 743-749.
- Pang, R. D., Guillot, C. R., Zvolensky, M. J., Bonn-Miller, M. O., & Leventhal, A. M. (2017). Associations of anxiety sensitivity and emotional symptoms with the subjective effects of alcohol, cigarettes, and cannabis in adolescents. Addictive Behaviors, 73, 192-198.
- Berman, M. E., Fanning, J. R., Guillot, C. R., Marsic, A., Bullock, J., Nardoff, M. R., & McCloskey, M. S. (2017). Effect of alcohol dose on deliberate self-harm in men and women. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85, 856-861.
- Guillot, C. R., Blumenthal, H., Zvolensky, M. J., & Schmidt, N. B. (2018). Anxiety sensitivity components in relation to alcohol and cannabis use, motives, and problems in treatment-seeking smokers. Addictive Behaviors, 82, 166-173.
- Pang, R. D., Guillot, C. R., Liautaud, M. M., Bello, M. S., Kirkpatrick, M. G., Huh, J., & Leventhal, A. M. (2020) Subjective effects from the first cigarette of the day vary with precigarette affect in premenopausal female daily smokers. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 28(3), 299-305.
- Guillot, C.R., Blackledge, S. M., Douglas, M. E., Cloutier, R. M., Liautaud, M. M., Pang, R. D., Kirkpatrick, M. G., & Leventhal, A. M. (2020). Indirect associations of anxiety sensitivity with tobacco, alcohol, and drug use problems through emotional disorder symptoms in adolescents. Behavioral Medicine, 46(2), 161-169.
- Kelly, M. E., Guillot, C. R., Quinn, E. N., Lucke, H. R., Bello, M. S., Pang, R. D., & Leventhal, A. M. (2020). Anxiety sensitivity in relation to cigarette smoking and other substance use in African American cigarette smokers. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000573
A list of Dr. Guillot's published work can be found on Google Scholar: